This library storytime introduces your K-2 students to the frozen continent of Antarctica! Includes guided PowerPoint or Google Slides lesson on Antarctica, lesson plan with standards, scavenger hunt, and recommended reads for parents and teachers.
Please note that this presentation is designed to complement a read-aloud. The actual read-aloud story comes from you!
Needed to open and edit: Google Slides or Microsoft PowerPoint; ability to open PDF documents
This lesson is editable in Google Slides and PowerPoint, and includes:
- All body text is ; you choose which slides you want to use.
- 16 slides are storytime and class discussion slides.
- that are great for extending storytime lessons or scrolling in the library during checkout and downtimes.
- List of to accompany this lesson (1 page, )
- The list is great to hand out to parents, teachers, and students looking for related books.
- Scavenger Hunt activity (1 page, )
- Google Classroom Basics (4 pages, PDF)
- Instructions on how to set up PowerPoint slide timings (2 pages, PDF)
16 Storytime Slides include:
- slide and how-to sign video link – “penguin”
- Guided Discussion includes definition of a continent, comparing summer and winter in Antarctica, and who lives there.
- Every slide in the presentation is , high-resolution clipart and photos.
2o Scrolling Slides include:
- Vocabulary words: ice shelf and continent
- 1 “Would you rather?” question slide
- 1 “True or False” slide
- 1 “Trivia Question” slide
- 2 idiom slides
IMPORTANT! Due to copyright law, read-aloud videos of the books are NOT included. You will have to record yourself reading the book, or do a live stream of the read-aloud for students to access the book. If your library owns the ebook(s), you could also share how to read or access ebooks through your online catalog or ebook management platform.
AASL National School Library Standards – See the AASL Standards Framework for Learners to view full text.
- Inquire – D.3.
- Explore – A.1. – C.1.
Common Core English Language Arts Standards –
© Copyright 2010 National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved.
Questions before buying?
If the free preview file does not answer your question, you can contact us through this link with questions.