This library storytime for Halloween walks you through a K-2 lesson on skeletons, bats, spiders, and other Halloween symbols.
Includes presentation scavenger hunt and printable list of recommended reads.
: Google Slides or Microsoft PowerPoint; ability to open PDF documents
This lesson is editable in Google Slides and PowerPoint, and includes:
- All text is ; you choose which slides you want to use.
- 22 slides are for the read-aloud and/or guided lesson
- that are great for extending lessons or scrolling in the library during checkout and downtimes.
- List of recommended Halloween-themed read-alouds (1 slide/page, 6-7 titles each for kindergarten, 1st grade, and 2nd grade)
- All in the presentation are also listed on a separate “Recommended Reads” printable list.
- Picture / “I Spy” Scavenger Hunt activity (1 page)
- AASL National School Library Standards (2018),
- National Common Core Standards for English Language Arts, and
- Google Classroom Basics (4 pages, PDF)
- Directions for using this lesson with an elementary “specials” rotation (10 pages, PDF)
22 Library Lesson / Class Discussion Slides include:
- 2 nursery rhymes: “Five Little Pumpkins” and “Bat, Bat, Fly Under My Hat”
- slide and how-to sign link (“Halloween”)
- Explanation of Halloween origins and history in the United States (U.S.)
- Halloween symbols: bats, spiders, costumes, candy, colors, ghosts, skeletons, and black cats
- Every slide in the presentation is , high-resolution clipart and photos.
20 Scrolling Slides include:
- Fun facts and information about jack-o-lanterns, candy corn, bats, spiders, and skeletons
- Vocabulary words: guano
- 2 “Would-You-Rather?” question slides
- Halloween joke
- 2 trivia question slides with answers
AASL National School Library Standards – See the AASL Standards Framework for Learners to view full text.
- Inquire – A.2. – C.1.
- Collaborate – A.2. – D.1.
- Explore – A.1.
- Engage – A.1. – B.2.
Common Core English Language Arts Standards –
© Copyright 2010 National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.K.1. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.K.5 – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.K.6. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.K.2.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.1.1. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.1.5. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.1.2.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.2.2. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.2.5. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.2.2.
Questions before buying?
If the free preview file does not answer your question, you can contact us through this link with questions.