Let’s talk about hearts for Valentine’s Day! This library lesson introduces elementary students to the human and animal hearts and tips for keeping their hearts healthy. Includes library skills, fun facts, trivia questions, and more.
Please note that this presentation is designed to complement a read-aloud. The actual read-aloud story comes from you!
This lesson has 86 slides & pages, and includes:
- 65-slide Lesson Presentation in Microsoft PowerPoint + Google Slides
- All body text is editable; you choose which slides you want to use.
- 22 slides are for the read-aloud and/or guided lesson that walks you through the storytime lesson.
- 38 slides are “scrolling presentation” slides that are great for extending storytime lessons or scrolling in the library during checkout and downtimes.
- List of 19 recommended books to accompany this lesson (1 page, PDF)
- The list is editable and great to hand out to parents, teachers, and students looking for related books.
- Two (2) editable, differentiated scavenger hunts (3 pages, PowerPoint and PDF)
- Students “hunt” for images and information in the “scrolling slides” part of the presentation. This gives students something to focus on during library checkout and downtime.
- Includes 2 scavenger hunts. One is images-only, and the other is images and text.
- Answer key is included.
- Detailed, pre-filled Library Lesson Plan in editable PDF and PowerPoint formats (5 pages), aligned to:
- AASL National School Library Standards for Learners,
- National Common Core ELA Standards, and
- Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS).
- Lesson tips and tricks (6 pages, PDF)
- Google Classroom Basics (4 pages, PDF)
- Instructions on how to set up PowerPoint slide timings for digital bulletin boards (2 pages, PDF)
22 Lesson Slides:
Part 1 is a guided whole-class discussion. The slides walk you through the entire class discussion, from start to finish.
- ASL sign language for “heart” — includes video links and step-by-step directions for making the signs
- Guided discussion of human hearts, including: location, that all humans have a heart in the same location, heartbeats, heart rate, how exercise affects heart rate, and tips for keeping your heart healthy.
- Slide for your read-aloud (paste the book cover on the slide).
- Checkout reminders slide — Add your own reminders!
- “What Should We Do Now?” slide — This is very clear instructions on what students should be doing after the lesson.
38 Scrolling Slides:
Part 2 is the scrolling slides. Set them on a timer to scroll on a screen during library checkout. Students can use the scrolling slides to complete one of the two Scavenger Hunts.
- Vocabulary Words of the Week: “arteries” and “cardiac”
- 2 library review questions – where to find heart books in the library; using the encyclopedia to find “heart”
- Fun facts and trivia about whale hearts, the heart-shaped ice lake on Pluto, candy hearts, insect hearts, and heart-healthy foods.
- Description of arteries and veins and the difference between the two.
- Information about the aorta and inferior vena cava.
- Why is some human blood is blue and other human blood is red?
- “Would You Rather?” and “This or That” question slides
- This week’s birthdays, weekly and daily agenda slides
IMPORTANT! Due to copyright law, read-aloud videos of the books are NOT included. You will have to record yourself reading the book, or do a live stream of the read-aloud for students to access the book. If your library owns the ebook(s), you could also share how to read or access ebooks through your online catalog or ebook management platform.
AASL National School Library Standards – See the AASL Standards Framework for Learners to view full text.
- Inquire – C.1. – D.1.
- Collaborate – A.2. – D.1.
- Explore – A.1.
Common Core English Language Arts Standards –
© Copyright 2010 National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved.
Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS)
© Copyright 2019 Texas Education Agency.
- TEKS SCI.3.10.A
- TEKS SCI.3.10.B.
- TEKS SCI.4.10.A.
- TEKS SCI.5.10.A.
Questions before buying?
If the free preview file does not answer your question, you can contact us through this link with questions.