Pecos Bill is a tall tale from Texas about a cowboy who was raised by coyotes and rode on tornadoes. This lesson covers his story from birth to death and all of Bill’s adventures in between!
This lesson has 50 slides & pages, and includes:
- All body text is ; you choose which slides you want to use.
- 19 slides are whole class lesson slides.
- that are great for extending lessons or scrolling in the library during checkout and downtimes.
- List of to accompany this lesson (1 page, PDF)
- The list is great to hand out to parents, teachers, and students looking for related books.
- Scavenger Hunt activity and answer key (2 pages, PDF)
- Students “hunt” for images and information in the “scrolling slides” part of the presentation. This gives students something to focus on during library checkout and downtime.
- Detailed prep instructions and lesson plan (7 pages, PDF)
- Standards addressed, including AASL National School Library Standards for Learners, National Common Core ELA Standards, and Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) (1 page, PDF)
- Google Classroom Basics (4 pages, PDF)
- Instructions on how to set up PowerPoint slide timings (2 pages, PDF)
19 Whole Class Lesson Slides include:
- The story of Pecos Bill from birth to death.
- Includes pronunciation of Pecos Bill, was Bill real, feral childhood, amazing feats, and death by laughter.
- Also includes Slue-Foot Sue (Bill’s girlfriend / wife).
- You can follow the presentation with a read-aloud, but it is not necessary. Students will learn all they need to know about Pecos from this lesson.
12 Scrolling Slides include:
- Vocabulary Word of the Week: “feral” (as in, Pecos Bill was a feral child.)
- Includes facts and trivia questions about Texas, tornadoes, cowboy hats, spurs, and feral children in real life.
IMPORTANT! Due to copyright law, read-aloud videos of the books are NOT included. You will have to record yourself reading the book, or do a live stream of the read-aloud for students to access the book. If your library owns the ebook(s), you could also share how to read or access ebooks through your online catalog or ebook management platform.
AASL National School Library Standards – See the AASL Standards Framework for Learners to view full text.
- Inquire – D.1.
- Explore – A.1.
Common Core English Language Arts Standards –
© Copyright 2010 National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved.
Questions before buying?
If the free preview file does not answer your question, you can contact us through this link with questions.