Teach students about reading in different formats by reading aloud graphic novels (or comics) to your 1st, 2nd, or 3rd grade elementary classes with this editable & easy-to-prep unit. By reading aloud to students, you can demonstrate how to read across and down the comic panels and what order to read the speech bubbles.
After reading one of the five (5) graphic novels aloud to the class, students check out new books from the library, and then complete the response activity in their printable response booklet. For remote learning or distance learning, the printable booklet can be sent home for up to 5 weeks of library lessons in districts who do not have access to 1:1 devices.
Note: This product is designed to be printed and handed out to students.
This 16-page unit is completely editable, and includes:
- Printable Booklet of 5 Reading Response Activities
- Editable in Microsoft PowerPoint .pptx and Microsoft Publisher .pub file formats
- PDF file
- Booklet is printed double-sided on 2 sheets of 8.5″ x 11″ paper, then folded and stapled to make an 8.5″ x 5.5.” booklet.
- Each half-page of the printable booklet includes a response activity (drawing or short writing) for one of the books.
- The back page of the booklet shows more library- and reading-themed book suggestions to read or check out from the library.
- 1st Grade Lesson Plan in editable Microsoft Word .docx file format, aligned to:
- 2018 AASL National School Library Standards for Learners,
- National Common Core ELA Standards, and
- Pennsylvania Core ELA Standards
- Lesson plan is adaptable for other grade levels by modifying the standards
- Teacher Notes with directions for assembling the printable booklets and links to more resources for teaching this unit.
The books featured in this unit are:
- ”Binky the Space Cat” (A Binky Adventure #1) by Ashley Spires
- “Babymouse: Queen of the World” (Babymouse #1) by Jennifer L. Holm and Matthew Holm
- ”Zig and Wikki in Something Ate My Homework!” by Nadja Spiegelman and Trade Loeffler
- ”Hamster and Cheese” (Guinea P.I.G. Pet Detective #1) by Colleen AF Venable & Stephanie Yue
- “Nursery Rhyme Comics” edited by Chris Duffy (excerpts read)
Get the books on BookShop.
If you purchase through these affiliate links, we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
AASL National School Library Standards – See the AASL Standards Framework for Learners to view full text.
- Inquire – C.1. – D.1.
- Collaborate – A.1. – A.2. – D.1.
- Explore – A.1. – C.1. – C.2. – C.3. – D.1. – D.2. – D.3. – D.4.
- Engage – B.1. – B.2.
Common Core English Language Arts Standards –
© Copyright 2010 National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved.
Questions before buying?
If the free preview file does not answer your question, you can contact us through this link with questions.