This Parts of a Book Storytime teaches core library skills for lower elementary students! The presentation slides walk you through a storytime discussion of book parts, including title, author, illustrator, spine, call number, title page, copyright date, and publisher.
Please note that this presentation is designed to complement a read-aloud. The actual read-aloud story comes from you!
This lesson has 69 slides & pages, and includes:
- 37-slide lesson presentation in Microsoft PowerPoint + Google Slides
- All body text is editable; you choose which slides you want to use.
- 17 slides are for the read-aloud and/or guided lesson that walks you through the storytime lesson.
- 20 slides are “scrolling presentation” slides that are great for extending storytime lessons or scrolling in the library during checkout and downtimes.
- Two (2) editable, differentiated scavenger hunts (3 pages, PowerPoint and PDF)
- Students “hunt” for images and information in the Part 2 scrolling slides part of the presentation. This gives students something to focus on during library checkout and downtime.
- “Easier” version – Students color the objects as they find them.
- “Harder” version – Students answer questions about the information in the slides, plus find smaller images.
- Answer key is included.
- List of 21 recommended books to accompany this lesson (1 page, PowerPoint and PDF)
- The list is editable and great to hand out to parents, teachers, and students looking for related books.
- Detailed, pre-filled Library Lesson Plan in editable PDF and PowerPoint formats (6 pages), aligned to:
- AASL National School Library Standards for Learners,
- National Common Core ELA Standards, and
- Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS).
- Lesson tips and tricks for librarians on a specials rotation (10 pages, PDF)
- Google Classroom Basics (6 pages, PDF)
- Instructions on how to set up PowerPoint slide timings for scrolling slides (2 pages, PDF)
17 Storytime Slides:
Part 1 is a guided whole-class discussion. The slides walk you through the entire class discussion, from start to finish.
- Storytime song: “Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes” – includes a slide with lyrics and pictures + YouTube link for motions and song in case you do not know it.
- ASL sign language for “body” and various body parts — includes video links and step-by-step directions for making the signs
- Guided discussion of 11 book parts: front cover, back cover, title, author, illustrator, spine, call number, title page, copyright date, and publisher. Use as many or as few as you like!
- Slide for your read-aloud (paste the book cover on the slide).
- Checkout reminders slide — Add your own reminders!
20 Scrolling Slides:
Part 2 is the scrolling slides. Set them on a timer to scroll on a screen during library checkout. Students can use the scrolling slides to complete one of the two Scavenger Hunts.
- “Our School Nurse” Staff Spotlight
- Vocabulary Words of the Week: “humerus” (bone) and “prehensile tail”
- Fun facts about eyes, tongue, hair, fingers, brain, fingernails, teeth, nasal hair, nasal mucus, and butterfly proboscis
IMPORTANT! Due to copyright law, read-aloud videos of the books are NOT included. You will have to record yourself reading the book, or do a live stream of the read-aloud for students to access the book. If your library owns the ebook(s), you could also share how to read or access ebooks through your online catalog or ebook management platform.
AASL National School Library Standards – See the AASL Standards Framework for Learners to view full text.
- Inquire – A.2. – C.1.
- Collaborate – A.2. – D.1.
- Explore – A.1.
- Engage – A.1. – B.2.
Common Core English Language Arts Standards –
© Copyright 2010 National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.K.1. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.K.5 – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.K.6. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.K.2.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.1.1. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.1.5. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.1.2.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.2.2. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.2.5. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.2.2.
Questions before buying?
If the free preview file does not answer your question, you can contact us through this link with questions.