This library lesson is about winter weather. It includes cold weather idioms, dressing for cold temperatures, would you rathers, winter sports, and more! After storytime, students can complete the scavenger hunt.
Please note that this presentation is designed to complement a read-aloud. The actual read-aloud story comes from you!
This lesson has 37 total slides and it includes:
- 37-slide Lesson Presentation in Microsoft PowerPoint + Google Slides
- All body text is editable; you choose which slides you want to use.
- 18 slides are for the read-aloud and/or guided lesson that walks you through the storytime lesson.
- 19 slides are “scrolling presentation” slides that are great for extending lessons or scrolling in the library during checkout and downtimes.
- 1 scavenger hunt (1 page, PowerPoint and PDF)
- Students “hunt” for images and information in the Part 2 scrolling slides part of the presentation. This gives students something to focus on during library checkout and downtime.
- List of 15 recommended books to accompany this lesson (1 page, PowerPoint and PDF)
- The list is editable and great to hand out to parents, teachers, and students looking for related books.
- Detailed, pre-filled Library Lesson Plan in editable PDF and PowerPoint formats (2 pages), aligned to:
- AASL National School Library Standards for Learners,
- National Common Core ELA Standards, and
- Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS).
- Lesson tips and tricks (7 pages, PDF)
- Google Classroom Basics (4 pages, PDF)
- Instructions on how to set up PowerPoint slide timings for scrolling slides (2 pages, PDF)
18 Storytime Slides:
Part 1 is a guided whole-class discussion and read-aloud. The slides walk you through the entire class discussion, from start to finish.
IMPORTANT! Due to copyright law, read-aloud videos of the books are NOT included. The read-aloud must come from you.
- Storytime song: “Let’s Dress Our Snowman”
- ASL sign language for “snow” and “cold” — includes video links and step-by-step directions for making the signs
- Slide for your read-aloud (paste the book cover on the slide).
- Checkout reminders slide — Add your own reminders!
19 Scrolling Slides:
Part 2 is the scrolling slides. Set them on a timer to scroll on a screen during library checkout. Students can use the scrolling slides to complete the Scavenger Hunt.
- Vocabulary Word of the Week: “igloo”
- Cold weather animals
- Information about the polar bear plunge
- Two cold weather idioms (“bundle up” and “cold feet”)
- Counting practice 1-4 (for older students, you can change this slide to a simple hot chocolate recipe or “Like or dislike: Marshmallows in hot chocolate?”)
- Winter weather joke for kids
- Winter sports
AASL National School Library Standards – See the AASL Standards Framework for Learners to view full text.
- Inquire – D.3.
- Explore – A.1. – C.1.
Common Core English Language Arts Standards –
© Copyright 2010 National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved.
Questions before buying?
If the free preview file does not answer your question, you can contact us through this link with questions.