This News Media Literacy Library Lesson is a great overview of multiple news media concepts for kindergarten through 3rd grade.
Introduces parts of a newspaper, fact and opinion, fake news, and what to do when the news is scary. This two-part library lesson also has a differentiated scavenger hunt activity and editable lesson plan.
Please note that this presentation is designed to complement a read-aloud. The actual read-aloud story comes from you!
This storytime lesson has 61 slides & pages, and includes:
- 43-slide Lesson Presentation in Microsoft PowerPoint + Google Slides
- All body text is editable; you choose which slides you want to use.
- 20 slides are storytime and class discussion slides.
- 23 slides are “scrolling presentation” slides that are great for extending storytime lessons or scrolling in the library during checkout and downtimes.
- Two (2) editable, differentiated scavenger hunts (3 pages, PowerPoint and PDF)
- Students “hunt” for images and information in the Part 2 scrolling slides part of the presentation. This gives students something to focus on during library checkout and downtime.
- “Easier” version – Students color the objects as they find them.
- “Harder” version – Students answer questions about the information in the slides, plus find smaller images.
- Answer key is included.
- List of 22 recommended picture books to accompany this lesson (1 page, PDF)
- The list is great to hand out to parents, teachers, and students looking for related books.
- Detailed, pre-filled Library Lesson Plan in editable PDF and PowerPoint formats (2 pages), aligned to:
- AASL National School Library Standards for Learners,
- National Common Core ELA Standards, and
- Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS).
- Lesson tips and tricks (6 pages, PDF)
- Google Classroom Basics (4 pages, PDF)
- Instructions on how to set up PowerPoint slide timings (2 pages, PDF)
16 Storytime Slides:
Part 1 is a guided whole-class discussion. The slides walk you through the entire class discussion, from start to finish.
- 3 recommended read-alouds + 3 news media-themed video links for kindergarten through 3rd grade.
- Original storytime song: “The News Song”
- ASL Sign language how-to sign video link and clipart images – “newspaper” and fingerspelling “N-E-W-S”
- Guided Discussion includes definition of news, media, and current events.
- 4 Parts of the newspaper and what to do when the news feels too scary.
- front page,
- byline, and
- Slide to introduce your read-aloud (paste the book cover on the slide).
- Checkout reminders slide — add your own reminders!
- “What Should We Do Now?” slide — This is very clear instructions (with images!) on what students should be doing after the media literacy library lesson.
24 Scrolling Slides:
Part 2 is the scrolling slides. Set them on a timer to scroll on a screen during library checkout. Students can use the scrolling slides to complete one of the two Scavenger Hunts.
- Vocabulary Word of the Week: “eyewitness”
- 2 news idioms: “that’s news to me” and “breaking news”
- What are facts?
- What are opinions?
- How can we prove facts are true?
- How can we tell when someone is giving an opinion?
- Can facts change?
- Our school counselor (spotlights school counselor, which goes with the Part I slide about scary news)
- Happy Birthday to…
IMPORTANT! Due to copyright law, read-aloud videos of the books are NOT included. You will have to record yourself reading the book, or do a live stream of the read-aloud for students to access the book. If your library owns the ebook(s), you could also share how to read or access ebooks through your online catalog or ebook management platform.
AASL National School Library Standards – See the AASL Standards Framework for Learners to view full text.
- Inquire – C.1. – D.3.
- Include – A.2.
- Collaborate – A.2. – D.1.
- Explore – A.1.
Common Core English Language Arts Standards –
© Copyright 2010 National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.K.10 – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.K.5 – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.K.10
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.1.10 – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.1.10 – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.1.6
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.2.10 – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.2.10 – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.2.5
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.3.10 – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.3.10 – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.3.5
Questions before buying?
If the free preview file does not answer your question, you can contact us through this link with questions.