This library lesson introduces the Youth Media Book Awards to elementary students! Includes five awards: Newbery, Caldecott, Coretta Scott King, Pura Belpré, and Sibert. Also includes fun facts, trivia, and more!
Updated to include the 2022 Award Winners! Please note that this presentation is designed to complement a read-aloud. The actual read-aloud story comes from you.
This lesson has 73 slides/pages, and it includes:
- All text is ; you choose which slides you want to use.
- 29 slides are whole class lesson slides.
- that are great for extending lessons or scrolling in the library during checkout and downtimes.
- Two (2) lists of award-winning recommended books to accompany this lesson (1 page, PDF)
- The list is great to hand out to parents, teachers, and students looking for related books.
- Two (2) editable, differentiated scavenger hunts (3 pages)
- Students “hunt” for images and information in the “scrolling slides” part of the presentation. This gives students something to focus on during library checkout and downtime.
- Includes 2 scavenger hunts. One is images-only, and the other is images and text.
- Answer key is included.
- Detailed, pre-filled Library Lesson Plan in editable PDF and PowerPoint formats (2 pages), aligned to:
- AASL National School Library Standards for Learners,
- National Common Core ELA Standards, and
- Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS).
- Lesson tips and tricks (6 pages, PDF)
- Google Classroom Basics (4 pages, PDF)
- Instructions on how to set up PowerPoint slide timings for digital bulletin boards (2 pages, PDF)
29 Whole Class Lesson Slides
Part 1 is a guided whole-class discussion. The slides walk you through the entire class discussion, from start to finish.
- Storytime song: “The Shelf Marker Song”
- ASL sign language for “award” — includes video links and step-by-step directions for making the signs
- Introduction to five popular book awards: Caldecott, Newbery, Coretta Scott King, Pura Belpré, and Sibert.
- Discussion also includes examples of awards, winners vs. honors, and gold and silver medal seals, how winners and honors are selected, difficulty in choosing, and award criteria.
- Slide for your read-aloud (paste the book cover on the slide).
- Checkout reminders slide — Add your own reminders!
- “What Should We Do Now?” slide — This is very clear instructions on what students should be doing after the lesson.
42 Scrolling Slides
Part 2 is the scrolling slides. Set them on a timer to scroll on a screen during library checkout. Students can use the scrolling slides to complete one of the two Scavenger Hunts.
- Vocabulary Words of the Week: “accolade” and “kudos”
- Includes fun facts that go with some of the past award winners. For example, John Henry facts go with Kwame Mbalia’s Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky, Grand Canyon trivia to go with Jason Chin’s Grand Canyon, and more.
- Did you Know questions, Would You Rather questions, This or That questions, True or False question, What Am I question, trivia questions, and this week’s birthdays
IMPORTANT! Due to copyright law, read-aloud videos of award-winning books are NOT included. You will have to record yourself reading the book, or do a live stream of the read-aloud for students to access the book. If your library owns an interactive ebook that has audio read-aloud, you could also share how to read or access it through your online catalog or ebook management platform.
AASL National School Library Standards – See the AASL Standards Framework for Learners to view full text.
- Inquire – C.1. – D.1. – D.3.
- Include – B.1. – C. 2. – D.2.
- Collaborate – D.1.
- Explore – A.1.
Common Core English Language Arts Standards –
© Copyright 2010 National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.K.1 – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.K.5. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.K.10.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.K.6. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.K.10.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.1.1 – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.1.10. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.1.10.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.2.1 – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.2.10. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.2.10.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.3.1 – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.3.10. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.3.10.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.4.1 – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.4.10. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.4.10.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.5.1 – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.5.10. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.5.10.
Questions before buying?
If the free preview file does not answer your question, you can contact us through this link with questions.