Welcome spring to the library with this fun, insect-themed Digital Library Lesson! The lesson is a slide presentation to accompany a storytime discussion on insect idioms, plus additional insect-themed slides to scroll during checkout.
This product is a combination of Digital Storytime and Digital Bulletin Board. You just add the read-aloud(s) of your choice.
: Google Slides or Microsoft PowerPoint; ability to open PDF documents
This 69-slide lesson is completely editable in Google Slides and PowerPoint, and includes:
- All text is ; you choose which slides you want to use.
- 17 slides are for the lesson and/or class discussion that introduce idioms and include 10 examples of insect idioms.
- that are great for extending lessons or scrolling in the library during checkout and downtimes.
- All in the presentation are also listed on a separate “Recommended Reads” list.
- The list is great to hand out to parents, teachers, and students looking for insect-themed books.
- All titles were selected specifically for Grades K-6 and received positive professional reviews.
- of how I have used themed library lessons like this one for story time on the “Specials” rotation. (10 pages, PDF)
- Google Classroom Basics (4 pages, PDF)
- Instructions on how to set up PowerPoint slide timings for (2 pages, PDF)
- and lesson plan (2 pages)
17 Class Discussion Slides include:
- slide and how-to sign link (“bug”)
- Introduction to idioms (what idioms are)
- 10 insect idiom examples:
- “ants in the pants”
- “butterflies in your stomach”
- “busy as a bee”
- “fly on the wall”
- “snug as a bug in a rug”
- “don’t let the bedbugs bite”
- “cute as a bug’s ear”
- “the bee’s knees”
- “you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar”
- “make a bee line”
- Every slide in the presentation is , high-resolution clipart and photos.
47 Digital Bulletin Board Slides include:
- Facts about various familiar insects including: rhinoceros beetle, stag beetle, honeybee, ladybug, ants, Monarch butterflies, mosquitoes, and fruit flies.
- 14 visual booktalks; includes picture books, fiction, nonfiction, 1 graphic novel, and 1 poetry book.
- Library review question slide about nonfiction / Dewey numbers
- 2 “Did You Know?” slides
- 1 “What Do You Think?” slide
- 1 “True/False” slide
- 2 “Would You Rather?” question slides
- 1 “What Would You Do?” slide
- 1 trivia question slides with answers
- Vocabulary words: entomologist and
- This week’s birthdays, weekly and daily agenda slides
- Checkout reminders (you add your own)
IMPORTANT! Due to copyright law, read-aloud videos of the books are NOT included. You will have to record yourself reading the book, or do a live stream of the read-aloud for students to access the book. If your library owns the ebook(s), you could also share how to read or access ebooks through your online catalog or ebook management platform.
AASL National School Library Standards – See the AASL Standards Framework for Learners to view full text.
- Inquire – C.1. – D.1.
- Collaborate – A.2. – D.1.
- Explore – A.1.
Common Core English Language Arts Standards –
© Copyright 2010 National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.K.10. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.K.10. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.K.1.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.1.10. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.1.10. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.1.1.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.2.10. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.2.10. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.2.1.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.3.10. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.3.10. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.3.1.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.4.10. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.4.10. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.4.1.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.5.10. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.5.10. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.5.1.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.6.10. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.6.10. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.6.1.
Questions before buying?
If the free preview file does not answer your question, you can contact us through this link with questions.