Welcome spring to the library with this fun, insect-themed Digital Library Lesson! The lesson is a slide presentation to accompany a storytime discussion on insect idioms, plus additional insect-themed slides to scroll during checkout.
Please note that this presentation is designed to complement a read-aloud. The actual read-aloud story comes from you!
This lesson has 76 slides & pages, and includes:
- in Microsoft PowerPoint + Google Slides
- All text is ; you choose which slides you want to use.
- 20 slides are for the lesson and/or class discussion that introduce idioms and include 10 examples of insect idioms.
- that are great for extending lessons or scrolling in the library during checkout and downtimes.
- List of 20 recommended books to accompany this lesson (1 page, PDF)
- The list is great to hand out to parents, teachers, and students looking for related books.
- Two (2) editable, differentiated scavenger hunts (3 pages)
- Students “hunt” for images and information in the “scrolling slides” part of the presentation. This gives students something to focus on during library checkout and downtime.
- Includes 2 scavenger hunts. One is images-only, and the other is images and text.
- Answer key is included.
- Detailed, pre-filled Library Lesson Plan in editable PDF and PowerPoint formats (2 pages), aligned to:
- AASL National School Library Standards for Learners,
- National Common Core ELA Standards, and
- Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS).
- Lesson tips and tricks (6 pages, PDF)
- Google Classroom Basics (4 pages, PDF)
- Instructions on how to set up PowerPoint slide timings for digital bulletin boards (2 pages, PDF)
20 Lesson Slides:
Part 1 is a guided whole-class discussion. The slides walk you through the entire class discussion, from start to finish.
- ASL sign language for “bug / insect” — includes video links and step-by-step directions for making the signs
- Introduction to idioms (what idioms are)
- 10 insect idiom examples:
- “ants in the pants”
- “butterflies in your stomach”
- “busy as a bee”
- “fly on the wall”
- “snug as a bug in a rug”
- “don’t let the bedbugs bite”
- “cute as a bug’s ear”
- “the bee’s knees”
- “you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar”
- “make a bee line”
- Slide for your read-aloud (paste the book cover on the slide).
- Checkout reminders slide — Add your own reminders!
- “What Should We Do Now?” slide — This is very clear instructions on what students should be doing after the lesson.
35 Scrolling Slides:
Part 2 is the scrolling slides. Set them on a timer to scroll on a screen during library checkout. Students can use the scrolling slides to complete one of the two Scavenger Hunts.
- Vocabulary Word of the Week: “entomologist” and “mandibles”
- Library skills review: Using Dewey call numbers to determine fiction or nonfiction books
- 1 true/false about mosquitos (includes answer)
- 2 insect-themed Would You Rather questions
- Are scorpions insects? (no–answer and explanation provided)
- 2 mystery insects with clues
- 2 trivia questions (multiple choice, answers included)
- 2 Did you know questions
- This week’s birthdays, weekly and daily agenda slides
IMPORTANT! Due to copyright law, read-aloud videos of the books are NOT included. You will have to record yourself reading the book, or do a live stream of the read-aloud for students to access the book. If your library owns the ebook(s), you could also share how to read or access ebooks through your online catalog or ebook management platform.
AASL National School Library Standards – See the AASL Standards Framework for Learners to view full text.
- Inquire – C.1. – D.1.
- Collaborate – A.2. – D.1.
- Explore – A.1.
Common Core English Language Arts Standards –
© Copyright 2010 National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.K.10. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.K.10. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.K.1.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.1.10. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.1.10. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.1.1.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.2.10. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.2.10. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.2.1.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.3.5. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.3.10. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.3.10. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.3.1.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.4.10. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.4.10. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.4.1.
Questions before buying?
If the free preview file does not answer your question, you can contact us through this link with questions.