Teach your 1st or 2nd grade students about reading in different formats and book series with the “Binky the Space Cat” graphic novel in this editable, DIGITAL lesson.
By reading a graphic novel (or comic) aloud to students, you can demonstrate how to read across and down the comic panels and in what order to read the speech bubbles.
This lesson is designed for flexible instruction days, (or FID days), online teaching, or blended / hybrid instruction. The teacher-librarian creates a read-aloud video to embed in the slides or provides an ebook with audio read-aloud features. After listening to the book or watching the book video, students complete the response activity on the next slide.
This 28-page unit is completely editable, and includes:
- Digital Read-aloud Lesson in Google Slides for “Binky the Space Cat” by Ashley Spires to share with students
- Includes placeholders for adding video directions and/or read-aloud videos (See important note below for why the actual read-aloud is not included.)
- Video cover thumbnails for read-aloud videos in .jpg and .png file formats
- Any component that you don’t want to use is easy to remove.
- Two (2) Response Activity Choices for students to complete
- Example Activity Choice Board to extend the learning through research or further reading
- 2 optional activity examples
- Your choice of 4 different choice board layouts
- Contact Information slide for parents or students to know how to reach you online
- Comprehensive Lesson Plan for 1st and 2nd Grades in Google Docs and Microsoft Word .docx file formats, aligned to:
- 2018 AASL National School Library Standards for Learners,
- National Common Core ELA Standards, and
- Pennsylvania Core ELA Standards.
- Lesson plan can be adapted for other grades by replacing the appropriate standards.
- Directions & Teacher Notes for posting your lesson in Google Classroom or other elearning platforms (included in preview)
IMPORTANT! Due to copyright law, a read-aloud video of “Binky the Space Cat” is NOT included. You will have to record yourself reading the book, or do a live stream of the read-aloud for students to access the book. If your library owns the interactive ebook that has audio read-aloud, you could also share how to read or access it through your online catalog or ebook management platform.
AASL National School Library Standards – See the AASL Standards Framework for Learners to view full text.
- Inquire – C.1. – D.1.
- Collaborate – A.2. – B.1. – D.1.
- Curate – C.1.
- Explore – A.1. – C.1.
Common Core English Language Arts Standards –
© Copyright 2010 National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.1.1. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.1.3. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.1.7. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.1.7. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.1.8. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.1.2. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.1.5
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.2.1. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.2.3. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.2.7. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.2.7. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.2.8. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.2.2. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.2.3.
Questions before buying?
If the free preview file does not answer your question, you can contact us through this link with questions.