Bring on autumn! This Autumn Library Storytime is perfect for back to school and fall activities. Includes a librarian-led discussion of fall objects, plus a scavenger hunt and additional scrolling slides with fun facts, autumn idioms, vocabulary, would you rathers, and more!
Please note that this presentation is designed to complement a read-aloud. The actual read-aloud story comes from you!
NOTE: Though this storytime is autumn-themed, it does not include Halloween.
This storytime lesson is editable in Google Slides and PowerPoint, and it includes:
- All body text is ; you choose which slides you want to use.
- 19 slides are for the read-aloud and/or guided lesson that walks you through the storytime lesson.
- 21 slides are “scrolling presentation” slides that are great for extending storytime lessons or scrolling in the library during checkout and downtimes.
- List of 28recommended books to accompany this lesson (1 page, PDF)
- The list is great to hand out to parents, teachers, and students looking for related books.
- Two (2) editable, differentiated scavenger hunts (3 pages)
- Students “hunt” for images and information in the “scrolling slides” part of the presentation. This gives students something to focus on during library checkout and downtime.
- Includes 2 scavenger hunts. One is images-only, and the other is images and text.
- Answer key is included.
- Detailed, pre-filled Library Lesson Plan in editable PDF and PowerPoint formats (2 pages), aligned to:
- AASL National School Library Standards for Learners,
- National Common Core ELA Standards, and
- Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS).
- Lesson tips and tricks (6 pages, PDF)
- Google Classroom Basics (4 pages, PDF)
- Instructions on how to set up PowerPoint slide timings for digital bulletin boards (2 pages, PDF)
19 Storytime Slides:
Part 1 is a guided whole-class discussion. The slides walk you through the entire class discussion, from start to finish.
- 2 recommended read-alouds + 3 autumn-themed video links for K-3.
- Storytime song: “Autumn Leaves Are Falling Down”
- ASL sign language for “autumn” or “fall” — includes video link and clipart image of the sign
- ASL fingerspelling of “fall” — includes images for each letter
- Whole-group discussion questions about 9 autumn objects: acorns, chestnuts, squirrels, tractors, harvest, falling leaves, pumpkins, scarecrows, and raking leaves.
- Slide to introduce your read-aloud (paste the book cover on the slide).
- Checkout reminders slide — add your own reminders!
- “What Should We Do Now?” slide — This is very clear instructions (with images!) on what students should be doing after the autumn library lesson.
21 Scrolling Slides:
Part 2 is the scrolling slides. Set them on a timer to scroll on a screen during library checkout. Students can use the scrolling slides to complete one of the two Scavenger Hunts.
- Vocabulary Word of the Week: “pigment”
- Book care tip / reminder: “Fall leaves are not bookmarks!”
- 2 autumn idioms: “turning a new leaf” and “apple of my eye”
- Sign language slide: “squirrel”
- Who is our music teacher?
- What is apple bobbing?
- Should we say “autumn” or “fall?”
- Do scarecrows really scare crows away?
- Are pumpkins fruits or vegetables?
- Are pumpkins good for you?
- Fact about monarch butterfly migration
- Would You Rather’s?
- This or That?
- Happy Birthday to…
IMPORTANT! Due to copyright law, read-aloud videos of the books are NOT included. You will have to record yourself reading the book, or do a live stream of the read-aloud for students to access the book. If your library owns the ebook(s), you could also share how to read or access ebooks through your online catalog or ebook management platform.
AASL National School Library Standards – See the AASL Standards Framework for Learners to view full text.
- Inquire – C.1.
- Collaborate – A.2. – D.1.
- Explore – A.1. – C.1.
Common Core English Language Arts Standards –
© Copyright 2010 National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.K.10 – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.K.1
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.1.10 – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.1.1
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.2.10 – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.2.1
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.3.10 – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.3.1
Questions before buying?
If the free preview file does not answer your question, you can contact us through this link with questions.