Teach primary elementary students about traditional nursery rhymes, songs, and rhythm with the graphic novel anthology “Nursery Rhyme Comics” in this editable, DIGITAL lesson for 1st or 2nd grade classes.
By reading a graphic novel (or comic) aloud to students, you can demonstrate how to read across and down the comic panels and in what order to read the speech bubbles. The “Nursery Rhyme Comics” and related “Fairy Tale Comics” and “Fable Comics” anthologies are also great for introducing different genres of traditional literature in a fresh, new way.
This lesson is designed for distance learning, online teaching, or blended / hybrid instruction (part online, part face-to-face). The teacher-librarian creates a read-aloud video to embed in the slides or provides an ebook with audio read-aloud features. After listening to the book or watching the book video, students complete the response activity on the next slide.
This read-aloud contains 20 slides + 9 pages, and it’s completely editable in Google Slides, including:
- Digital Read-aloud Lesson for “Nursery Rhyme Comics” edited by Chris Duffy to share with students
- Includes placeholders for adding video directions and/or read-aloud videos (See important note below for why the actual read-aloud is not included.)
- Video cover thumbnails for read-aloud videos in .jpg and .png file formats
- Any component that you don’t want to use is easy to remove.
- Two (2) Response Activities for students to write and/or illustrate their own nursery rhyme
- One activity has links to a free rhyming dictionary and online song maker for students to enhance their writing.
- One activity has directions for writing on paper and illustrating with art supplies.
- Example Activity Choice Board to extend the learning through research or further reading
- 2 optional activity examples
- Your choice of 4 different choice board layouts
- Contact Information slide for parents or students to know how to reach you online
- Comprehensive Lesson Plan for 1st or 2nd Grades in Google Docs and Microsoft Word .docx file formats, aligned to:
- 2018 AASL National School Library Standards for Learners,
- National Common Core ELA Standards, and
- Pennsylvania Core ELA Standards.
- Directions & Teacher Notes for posting your lesson in Google Classroom or other elearning platforms (included in preview)
IMPORTANT! Due to copyright law, a read-aloud video of the “Nursery Rhyme Comics” is NOT included. You will have to record yourself reading the book, or do a live stream of the read-aloud for students to access the book. If your library owns the interactive ebook that has audio read-aloud, you could also share how to read or access it through your online catalog or ebook management platform.
AASL National School Library Standards – See the AASL Standards Framework for Learners to view full text.
- Inquire – C.1.
- Collaborate – A.2. – B.1. – D.1.
- Explore – A.1.
Common Core English Language Arts Standards –
© Copyright 2010 National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.1.1. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.2.1.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.1.3. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.2.3.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.1.7. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.2.7.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.1.2. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.2.2.
Questions before buying?
If the free preview file does not answer your question, you can contact us through this link with questions.