Teach your youngest learners about parts of a book, author and illustrator jobs, and the difference between fiction and nonfiction with this quiz booklet and lesson!
An essential part of any pre-kindergarten or kindergarten curriculum includes learning the parts of a book, the roles of authors and illustrators, and the difference between fiction and nonfiction. These important skills are the foundation of any excellent reading and information fluency curriculum.
This product will help you assess those skills in a 9-page quiz booklet. It can be used to collect student assessment data on individual students for a Student Learning Objective, or SLO for a state-level teacher evaluation. As part of a library class, I recommend using 1 or 2 booklet pages per class period, or using the whole booklet as a summative assessment.
This 29-page Book Basics lesson is editable, and includes:
- Printable assessment Quiz Booklet
- 2 booklet pages per letter-size sheet of paper, PDF file format
- Booklet covers (full color and blackline versions)
- Color the cover page (blackline)
- Color the spine page (blackline)
- Circle the title page (blackline)
- Author identification page (blackline)
- Illustrator identification page (blackline)
- 2 unique fiction/nonfiction identification pages (full color and blackline versions)
- Editable Quiz Booklet with blank templates
- Title and author of example books can be edited in the blank template.
- You can even add your own clipart or images.
- Kindergarten Lesson Plan in Microsoft Word .docx file format, aligned to:
- 2018 AASL National School Library Standards for Learners,
- National Common Core ELA Standards, and
- Pennsylvania Core ELA Standards
- Teacher’s Notes with directions for prep and ways to use this product
PLEASE NOTE: This product is an upgraded version of the freebie Library Book Basics Quiz available on TPT or MrsJintheLibrary.com. Unlike that freebie, this version is editable, and includes a complete lesson plan. DOWNLOAD THE PREVIEW for more information.
Get the books featured in this product on BookShop.
If you purchase through these affiliate links, we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
AASL National School Library Standards – See the AASL Standards Framework for Learners to view full text.
- Inquire – A.2.
- Include – A.1.
- Collaborate – A.2. – D.1.
- Curate – B.4.
- Explore – A.1.
- Engage – B.2.
Common Core English Language Arts Standards –
© Copyright 2010 National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.K.5. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.K.6.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.K.5. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.K.6.
Questions before buying?
If the free preview file does not answer your question, you can contact us through this link with questions.