This two-part Library Lesson reviews the characteristics of tall tales and tells the story of Annie Oakley. Also includes trivia questions on a scavenger hunt activity.
Content Warning: This lesson focuses on sharpshooters Annie Oakley and Calamity Jane. There are guns in the clipart and the historical photos. There is also a 29-second movie of Annie Oakley shooting inanimate targets. Do not buy this lesson if you are not willing to show some guns in your lesson. It is impossible to talk about these two women without any gun photos or discussion of shooting targets. If you are unsure, download the preview above.
Needed to open and edit: Google Slides or Microsoft PowerPoint; ability to open PDF documents
This lesson is editable in Google Slides and PowerPoint, and includes:
- All body text is ; you choose which slides you want to use.
- 17 slides are whole class lesson slides.
- that are great for extending lessons or scrolling in the library during checkout and downtimes.
- List of 16 recommended books to accompany this lesson (1 page, PDF)
- The list is great to hand out to parents, teachers, and students looking for related books.
- Scavenger Hunt activity and answer key (2 pages, PDF)
- Students “hunt” for images and information in the “scrolling slides” part of the presentation. This gives students something to focus on during library checkout and downtime.
- Elementary Library Lesson Plan in editable PDF and PowerPoint formats, aligned to:
- AASL National School Library Standards for Learners,
- National Common Core ELA Standards, and
- Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS).
- Lesson tips and tricks (6 pages, PDF)
- Google Classroom Basics (4 pages, PDF)
- Instructions on how to set up PowerPoint slide timings (2 pages, PDF)
17 Whole Class Lesson Slides include:
- The story of real-life Annie Oakley from birth to death.
- Facts about her childhood, sharpshooter skills contest, marriage to Frank Butler, and legacy
- You can follow the presentation with a read-aloud, but it is not necessary. Students will learn all they need to know about Annie Oakley from this lesson.
15 Scrolling Slides include:
- Vocabulary Word of the Week: “calamity”
- Facts and trivia questions about Annie Oakley
- 5 slides introducing Calamity Jane
IMPORTANT! Due to copyright law, read-aloud videos of the books are NOT included. You will have to record yourself reading the book, or do a live stream of the read-aloud for students to access the book. If your library owns the ebook(s), you could also share how to read or access ebooks through your online catalog or ebook management platform.
AASL National School Library Standards – See the AASL Standards Framework for Learners to view full text.
- Inquire – C.1. – D.1.
- Explore – A.1.
Common Core English Language Arts Standards –
© Copyright 2010 National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved.
Questions before buying?
If the free preview file does not answer your question, you can contact us through this link with questions.