Start the year right by reviewing book care with this editable, DIGITAL library orientation lesson for 2nd grade classes.
This lesson is designed for distance learning, online teaching, or blended / hybrid instruction (part online, part face-to-face). The teacher-librarian creates a read-aloud video to embed in the slides or provides an ebook with audio read-aloud features. After listening to the book or watching the book video, students complete the response activity on the next slide.
This 26-page lesson is completely editable in Google Slides, and includes:
- Digital Read-aloud Lesson for “Stella Louella’s Runaway Book” by Lisa Campbell Ernst to share with students
- Placeholders for adding video directions and/or read-aloud videos (See important note below for why the actual read-aloud is not included.)
- Video cover thumbnails for read-aloud videos in .jpg and .png file formats
- Interactive, Self-checking Response Activity for students to identify healthy books and damaged books that need repair or a visit to the “book hospital”
- Example Activity Choice Board to extend the learning through research or further reading
- 3 optional activity examples
- Your choice of 4 different choice board layouts
- Contact Information slide for parents or students to know how to reach you online
- Comprehensive 2nd Grade Lesson Plan in Google Docs and Microsoft Word .docx file formats, aligned to:
- 2018 AASL National School Library Standards for Learners,
- National Common Core ELA Standards, and
- Pennsylvania Core ELA Standards
- Lesson plan can be adapted for other grades by replacing the appropriate standards.
- Directions & Teacher Notes for posting your lesson in Google Classroom or other elearning platforms (included in preview)
IMPORTANT! Due to copyright law, a read-aloud video of “Stella Louella’s Runaway Book” is NOT included. You will have to record yourself reading the book, or do a live stream of the read-aloud for students to access the book. If your library owns the interactive ebook that has audio read-aloud, you could also share how to read or access it through your online catalog or ebook management platform.
AASL National School Library Standards – See the AASL Standards Framework for Learners to view full text.
- Inquire – A.2. – B.3. – C.1.
- Include – B.1. – C.2. – D.1.
- Collaborate – A.1. – A.2. – B.1. – D.1.
- Curate – A.1. – C.1.
- Explore – A.1. – A.3. – C.1.
- Engage – A.1. – D.1.
Common Core English Language Arts Standards –
© Copyright 2010 National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.2.1. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.2.7.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.2.1. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.2.2.
Questions before buying?
If the free preview file does not answer your question, you can contact us through this link with questions.