Start the year right and introduce the library with this editable, DIGITAL library orientation lesson for kindergarten or 1st grade classes.
This lesson is designed for distance learning, online teaching, or blended (part online, part face-to-face instruction). The teacher-librarian creates a read-aloud video to embed in the slides or provides an ebook with audio read-aloud features. After listening to the book or watching the book video, students complete the response activity on the next slide.
This 25-page lesson is completely editable in Google Slides, and includes:
- Digital Read-aloud for “The Midnight Library” by Kazuno Kohara to share with students
- Placeholders for adding video directions and/or read-aloud videos (See important note below for why the actual read-aloud is not included.)
- Video cover thumbnails for read-aloud videos in .jpg and .png file formats
- Suggested Response Activity for students to complete
- Example Activity Choice Board to extend the learning through research or further reading
- 3 optional activity examples
- Your choice of 4 different choice board layouts
- Contact Information slide for parents or students to know how to reach you online
- Comprehensive Kindergarten Lesson Plan in Google Docs and Microsoft Word .docx file formats, aligned to:
- 2018 AASL National School Library Standards for Learners,
- National Common Core ELA Standards, and
- Pennsylvania Core ELA Standards
- Lesson plan can be adapted for 1st grade, or even pre-kindergarten by replacing the appropriate standards.
- Directions & Teacher Notes for posting your lesson in Google Classroom or other elearning platforms (included in preview)
IMPORTANT! Due to copyright law, a read-aloud video of “The Midnight Library” is NOT included. You will have to record yourself reading the book, or do a live stream of the read-aloud for students to access the book. If your library owns the ebook with audio read-aloud support, you could also share how to read or access it through your ebook management platform.
AASL National School Library Standards – See the AASL Standards Framework for Learners to view full text.
- Inquire – A.2. – B.3. – C.1.
- Include – B.1. – C.2. – D.1.
- Collaborate – A.1. – A.2. – B.1. – D.1.
- Curate – A.1. – C.1.
- Explore – A.1. – A.3. – C.1.
- Engage – A.1. – D.1.
Common Core English Language Arts Standards –
© Copyright 2010 National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.K.1. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.K.10.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.K.2. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.K.5.
Questions before buying?
If the free preview file does not answer your question, you can contact us through this link with questions.