Start the year right as you introduce the library & book care skills with this editable, DIGITAL library orientation unit for five (5) kindergarten library class periods.
The teacher-librarian creates a read-aloud video to embed in the slides or provides an ebook with audio read-aloud features. After listening to the book or watching the book video, students complete the response activity on the next slide.
Note: This lesson is designed for online teaching or hybrid / blended instruction. If you prefer pencil-and-paper activities for the same books, click here for the printable version of these activities.
This orientation unit has 100 pages/slides and includes:
- Digital Read-aloud Lesson for each book to share with students
- Editable in Google Slides only (not PowerPoint)
- Placeholders for adding video directions and/or read-aloud videos (See important note below for why the actual read-aloud is not included.)
- Video cover thumbnails for read-aloud videos in .jpg and .png file formats
- Suggested Response Activity (or Activities) for each book for students to complete
- Some of the book activities have interactive moveable parts for students to identify good library manners or behavior, or to identify good choices for taking care of books.
- Example Activity Choice Board to extend the learning through research or further reading
- Three (3) optional activity examples
- Your choice of four (4) different choice board layouts
- Contact Information slide for parents or students to know how to reach you online
- Kindergarten Lesson Plan in Google Docs and Microsoft Word .docx file formats, aligned to:
- 2018 AASL National School Library Standards for Learners,
- National Common Core ELA Standards, and
- Pennsylvania Core Standards for English Language Arts.
- Lesson plan can be adapted for 1st grade by replacing the appropriate standards.
- Directions and Teacher Notes for posting your lessons in Google Classroom or other e-learning platforms.
The books featured in this unit are:
- “The Midnight Library” by Kazuno Kohara – available on BookShop
- “Manners in the Library” by Shannon McClintock Miller – available on BookShop or Capstone
- “What Happened to Marion’s Book?” by Brook Berg – This book is out of print, but check your local library or used book sites.
- “But Excuse Me That is My Book” by Lauren Child – available on BookShop
- “Librarians Help” by Dee Ready – available on BookShop or Capstone
If you purchase through these affiliate links, we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
IMPORTANT! Due to copyright law, read-aloud videos are NOT included. You will have to record yourself reading the book, or do a live stream of the read-aloud for students to access the book. If your library owns the ebook with audio read-aloud support, you could also share how to read or access it through your ebook management platform.
AASL National School Library Standards – See the AASL Standards Framework for Learners to view full text.
- Inquire – A.2. – B.3. – C.1.
- Include – B.1. – C.2.
- Collaborate – A.2. -B.1. – D.1.
- Explore – A.1. – C.1.
- Engage – A.1.
Common Core English Language Arts Standards –
© Copyright 2010 National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.K.1. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.K.10.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.K.2. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.K.5
Questions before buying?
If the free preview file does not answer your question, you can contact us through this link with questions.