Introduce the library and review title, author, and illustrator with this editable, DIGITAL library orientation lesson for 2nd grade classes.
This lesson is designed for flexible instruction days, (or FID days), online teaching, or blended / hybrid instruction. The teacher-librarian creates a read-aloud video to embed in the slides or provides an ebook with audio read-aloud features. After listening to the book or watching the book video, students complete the response activity on the next slide.
This lesson has 26 slides / pages, and includes:
- Digital Read-aloud Lesson in Google Slides for “Jumping Off Library Shelves: A Book of Poems” selected by Lee Bennett Hopkins to share with students
- Placeholders for adding video directions and/or read-aloud videos (See important note below for why the actual read-aloud is not included.)
- Video cover thumbnails for read-aloud videos in .jpg and .png file formats
- Interactive, Self-checking Response Activity for students to identify the title, author, and illustrator on a book’s cover
- Example Activity Choice Board to extend the learning through research or further reading
- 3 optional activity examples
- Your choice of 4 different choice board layouts
- Contact Information slide for parents or students to know how to reach you online
- Comprehensive 2nd Grade Lesson Plan in Google Docs and Microsoft Word .docx file formats, aligned to:
- 2018 AASL National School Library Standards for Learners,
- National Common Core ELA Standards, and
- Pennsylvania Core ELA Standards
- Lesson plan can be adapted for other grades by replacing the appropriate standards.
- Directions & Teacher Notes for posting your lesson in Google Classroom or other elearning platforms (included in preview)
IMPORTANT! Due to copyright law, a read-aloud video of “Jumping Off Library Shelves” is NOT included. You will have to record yourself reading the book, or do a live stream of the read-aloud for students to access the book. If your library owns the interactive ebook that has audio read-aloud, you could also share how to read or access it through your online catalog or ebook management platform.
AASL National School Library Standards – See the AASL Standards Framework for Learners to view full text.
- Inquire – A.2. – B.3. – C.1.
- Include – B.1. – C.2. – D.1.
- Collaborate – A.1. – A.2. – B.1. – D.1.
- Curate – A.1. – C.1.
- Explore – A.1. – A.3. – C.1.
- Engage – A.1. – D.1.
Common Core English Language Arts Standards –
© Copyright 2010 National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.2.1. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.2.7.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.2.1. – CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.2.2.
Questions before buying?
If the free preview file does not answer your question, you can contact us through this link with questions.