This Chinese New Year (also known as Lunar New Year) Trivia Game is a fun, no-prep way to teach students Chinese New Year traditions. Prior knowledge is not required to play. Updated for 2023 – the Year of the Rabbit!
Please note: For best results, your PowerPoint version should be at least 2016 or later. Earlier versions of PowerPoint do not support the feature that allows game board dollar amounts to disappear. This game is NOT compatible with Google Slides or other presentation software.
This trivia game has 55 pages/slides, and it includes:
- All body text is editable.
- Most questions are multiple choice, and students do not need any prior knowledge of Chinese New Year to play.
- Every answer slide includes additional information about the tradition in the question. This part of the game is instructional, and students are guaranteed to learn lots of new facts about Chinese New Year.
- When you click on the dollar amounts on the game board, they disappear when you return to the board. This ensures students do not pick a question that has already been asked.
- Printable Game Instructions
- No lesson plan is included, but standards addressed by this activity are listed below.
The focus of this trivia game is (within China) rather than Lunar New Year (some Asian countries outside China). The author is a school librarian who lived and taught in Shanghai and Suzhou, China for six years. The questions are based on the author’s experiences in China, and additional notes are included in the Notes section of each slide.
Game Categories include:
- Red & Gold
- Food & Drink
- The Great Race
- Symbols & Luck
AASL National School Library Standards – See the AASL Standards Framework for Learners to view full text.
- Include – B.2. – D.2. – D.3.
- Collaborate – A.2. – A.3.
Common Core English Language Arts Standards –
© Copyright 2010 National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved.
Questions before buying?
If the free preview file does not answer your question, you can contact us through this link with questions.